Am I entitled to Occupational Therapy / Physiotherapy in the community?

Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy are classified as community care services. In general, medical card holders are entitled to community care services free of charge. There may be a waiting list for these services.

Non-medical card holders may be entitled but it is not always possible. If you are a non-medical card holder and hold insurance, some services may be covered by your insurer. Always check with your provider first.

Please note that rules about which community care services must be provided vary for different areas. In some cases, the HSE is obliged to provide services while, in others, the HSE has discretion about whether to make the service available or not.

If you are having difficulty accessing a community care service in your area, please contact your SII Community Outreach Officer who will help you find a solution.