The voice of experience
SII’s research (Collins, 2014) interviewed a number of people with SCI and asked the question: “What advice would you give someone being discharged about transition out of the hospital setting?” The responses were:
- Have home adaptions ready
- Avail of all the support you are being offered
- Get counselling and have family members take counselling
- Take your time to adjust
- Work towards acceptance and integration
- Be positive and work on your mental attitude and health
- Build routines, get a hobby or go back to education
- Communicate with others and if possible get peer support from SCI individuals
- Drive as soon as possible
SII is here to provide support at every stage. Contact us on 01 2355317 to arrange to speak to or meet with the Community Outreach Officer from your local area.
Find out more about our support service here.