Social Assistance Payments

Jobseeker’s Benefit & Jobseeker’s Allowance

Social assistance payments are for people who don’t qualify for social insurance payments because they do not have enough PRSI contributions. For example, if you become unemployed and apply for Jobseeker’s Benefit but fail because you have insufficient PRSI contributions, you can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance instead. Jobseeker’s Allowance is a similar payment but is not based on the number of PRSI contributions paid. Jobseeker’s Benefit is a social insurance payment but Jobseeker’s Allowance is a social assistance payment.

* Social assistance payments are means-tested. Meaning that the total amount of income coming into your household will be assessed and your payment will reflect that level of income.

Social assistance payments include:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Farm Assist is an income support scheme for farmers
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Non-Contributory) Pension
  • Guardian’s Payment (Non-Contributory)
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Supplementary Welfare Allowance
  • State Pension (Non-Contributory)
  • Blind Pension
  • Disability Allowance
  • One-Parent Family Payment (OFP)

If you qualify for a social assistance payment, you may also be eligible for additional social welfare benefits.

Please visit your local Department of Social Protection office or Citizens Information Bureau for relevant, up-to-date information about each of the payments listed above. You can also find information on here