Getting about – public transport options

Public Transport

Depending on where you live, your experience of public transport will be different.
Some urban areas have excellent, regular, accessible public transport options while some smaller towns and rural areas have very limited or no options.

Free Travel Scheme

If you are eligible for this scheme you will receive free travel on most state owned public transport (bus, rail and LUAS). Some private bus operators also accept Free Travel cards. To find out you can check with your local DSP office.
Free travel is available if you are permanently living in the state and:
• Are getting Disability Allowance, Carer’s Allowance or an Invalidity Pension from the Department of Social Protection.
• Have been getting Incapacity Supplement or Workmen’s Compensation with Disablement Pension for at least 12 months.
• Are a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from the Department.
• Are getting a social security invalidity payment, or similar payment, from another EU member state or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement for at least 12 months.
• If you are registered for a Public Services Card, you will get a Free Travel Card automatically when you are awarded an Invalidity Pension, Disability Allowance or Carer’s Allowance.
• In all other circumstances, you must apply for free travel by completing a Free Travel application form FT1. You can get this through the Free Travel Section of Social Welfare Services in Sligo. Tel: 071 915 7100 / 1890 500 000 or download an application form on

We'd love to hear from you to see how we can help